With the summer season in full swing, it’s important to be mindful of the potential dangers of rising temperatures and be prepared to take action. Industries such as manufacturing and automotive businesses can face high temperatures inside due to machinery and lack of air conditioning in large shops, where temperatures could be 20 degrees hotter than outside air. For those working outside, especially here in Southern California, intense heat with added sun exposure can be harmful.
Not only does the extreme summer heat pose a threat to your employees, but it can be dangerous for your facilities. Did you know that improper handling of shop towels can become a fire hazard through spontaneous combustion? It’s true, and we’ve seen it happen. More on that below.
Tips & Resources to Keep Everyone Cool & Safe
As your local uniform rental provider serving businesses in Los Angeles for over 70 years, we understand your needs when it comes to keeping your employees and facilities cool and safe during the hot LA summers.
Watch Employees for Signs of Heat-Related Illnesses
The summer heat can take a toll on our bodies and heat illnesses can develop quickly, so it’s critical to know the signs and act accordingly.
Common symptoms to watch out for:
- Rapid heartbeat and breathing
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle cramps
- Excessive sweating or absolutely no sweating
If you or an employee are experiencing symptoms:
- Move to a cooler place to rest
- Hydrate with water or a drink with electrolytes
- Place a towel soaked in cool water on the skin
- Seek medical attention if needed
By being aware of the warning signs of heat-related illness, you can ensure everyone on your team stays healthy. We have a few other tips to help keep your employees cool here.
Proper Handling of Shop Towels to Reduce Fire Risk
Shop towels that have become saturated with flammable substances, such as oil, solvents, and chemicals, can become an extreme hazard. If not properly handled and disposed of, the heat through oxidation can lead to spontaneous combustion which could turn into a destructive fire.
- Store oily towels in an OSHA-approved container
- Keep dirty towels away from direct sunlight and poorly ventilated rooms
- Never leave oil-soaked or chemical-soaked rags in a pile
- Make sure to sort or remove any other debris from your dirty shop towels, especially anything metal or conductive
Avoid the threat of spontaneous combustion and fire damage with Kleen Kraft’s shop towel service. We follow regulatory compliances to ensure proper handling, storage, safe washing, and disposal of hazardous materials.
3 Ways Uniforms Keep Your Employees Cool
Uniforms are a critical part of ensuring employee comfort in high temperatures. Our uniforms provide these important features to alleviate heat so you can take care of your employees and their health this summer:
- Comfortable fit to encourage airflow
- High-quality materials that are moisture-wicking and breathable
- Lightweight layers to protect from sun exposure
Stay Safe from Extreme Heat with Kleen Kraft
With summer well on its way, it's important to be aware of the risks that come with the heat.
Stay cool, stay safe, and let Kleen Kraft help you beat the heat with our products. Contact us today!